There was confusion last night over the re-registering of mobile Sim cards as the telecoms watchdog, the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA), announced the deadline would be extended.
But du said it would suspend the lines of customers who had failed to respond to an SMS telling them to re-register.
The TRA said it would extend the deadline as its licencees – du and Etisalat – had not provided “smooth mechanisms to facilitate, accelerate and stimulate subscribers to update their data”.
On state news agency WAM, the TRA said: “Licensees will extend the timeframe for the first category and include it in the second category due date since the licensees were unable to provide smooth mechanisms to facilitate, accelerate and stimulate subscribers to update their data.
“Furthermore, the TRA instructed the licensees to improve their mechanisms and increase the capabilities of all their commercial outlets where subscribers can easily access those locations to update their information.
“The TRA also instructed the operators to speed up the launch of the online registration services to accelerate the process and ease the load on the commercial outlets.”
Earlier this week Etisalat told customers who fail to re-register their sim cards in time they would not have their handsets blocked after the telecom company extended its deadline.
Users originally had until yesterday to update their details or face having their service disrupted.
The company has been contacting customers in batches via SMS alerts, advising them to register their sim cards in line with the TRA’s “My Number, My Identity” campaign.
“We will extend the period for registration for those who have not yet registered,” said an Etisalat official. “They will not have their service blocked after the October 16 deadline.”
He did not say how long the deadline had been extended.
The TRA launched its campaign on July 17, requiring all mobile phones with sim cards from du or Etisalat to be re-registered.