FILIPINO ring icon Manny Pacquiao will not fight Juan Manuel Marquez in Mexico even if the planned December bout between the two fighters materialized.
Pacquiao’s long-time lawyer Franklyn Gacal told The Manila Times on Monday that Top Rank Promoter Bob Arum has removed from the fight contract the option of bringing Pacquiao to Mexico should the PacMan’s fourth battle with Marquez (54-6-1 win-loss-draw with 39 knockouts) pushed through.
“It will not happen [the fight in Mexico] because it will favor him [Marquez] a lot,” said Gacal in an interview. “At the same time, the fight in Mexico may cause a lot of danger. At the same time, it is not a good option.”
According to Gacal, Arum said that geographical factors would greatly affect Pacquiao’s training should the fight be held in Mexico.
Gacal also disclosed that Pacquiao’s next fight is already booked at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada though his opponent is yet to be named. “So far, there is no opponent yet. Manny will be ready once it [opponent] is announced.”
After Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto decided to fight American Austin Trout on December 1 in New York City for the World Boxing Association welterweight title belt, two fight options remain for Pacquiao—he can fight his archrival Marquez for the fourth time or have a rematch with World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Timothy Bradley, who defeated him via controversial split decision in June.