North Korea has issued a furious statement slamming the United States for imposing sanctions in retaliation for its alleged cyber-attack on Sony Pictures.
It again denied any role in the breach of tens of thousands of confidential Sony emails and business files.
An unnamed spokesman at North Korea’s foreign ministry on Sunday accused the US of “groundlessly” stirring up hostility toward Pyongyang and claimed the new sanctions would not weaken the country’s military might.
The US president, Barack Obama, last week authorised a new layer of sanctions on several Pyongyang institutions and officials, in the wake of the crippling hacking attack on the Hollywood movie studio.
US investigators have said North Korea was behind the attack in November, but some experts have raised doubts about the conclusions of the FBI probe.
Pyongyang has repeatedly denied involvement and demanded a joint investigation into the attack – a proposal the US has ignored.
North Korea’s foreign ministry said Washington’s rejection of the proposal revealed its “guilty conscience”. It said the US was using the attack to further isolate the North in the international community.
“The persistent and unilateral action taken by the White House to slap ’sanctions’ … patently proves that it is still not away from inveterate repugnancy and hostility toward [North Korea],” the ministry spokesman told the state-run KCNA news agency.
The impoverished but nuclear-armed state is already heavily sanctioned following a series of nuclear and missile tests staged in violation of UN resolutions.
The spokesman also said the new sanctions would further push the North to strengthen its military-first policy known as Songgun… see more
source: Guardian UK