Armed gunmen in suicide vests set off a truck bomb outside the U.S. consulate in Herat, Afghanistan, resulting in a firefight with American forces on early Friday, according to U.S. officials.

U.S. State Department deputy spokesperson Marie Harf told AFP that there were no American losses in the attack and the U.S. embassy in Kabul confirmed on Twitter that all consulate workers were safe.
Security personnel responded to the attack but the assault has ended, Harf said.

“It appears American and contract security personnel addressed any attackers who managed to enter the compound,” she added.

The U.S. State Department said the attack started at 5:30 am when the gunmen, dressed in suicide vests, drove up to the front gate in a truck, opened fire and then detonated the truck bomb.
An AFP reporter said that one vehicle was destroyed in the attack.

Herat hospital spokesman Mohammad Rafiq Sherzai said that four Afghan policeman had been wounded in the attack.
The city of Herat, close to Afghanistan’s border with Iran, is normally thought as one of the safest cities in the country, where the Taliban are fighting a 12-year insurgency.

source: alarabiya.net