Trump hits back as judge blocks travel ban

Newsmaster
Feb 04, 2017
380 Views

The White House has described a nationwide ruling against President Trump’s controversial travel ban as “outrageous”.

US District Judge James Robart ruled against government lawyers at a hearing in Seattle, saying there was a strong likelihood that a legal challenge against the ban would succeed.

A short time later, the White House issued a strongly worded statement stating its intention to file “an emergency stay of this outrageous order” at the earliest possible opportunity.

It described Mr Trump’s executive order as “lawful and appropriate” and added: “The President’s order is intended to protect the homeland and he has the constitutional authority and responsibility to protect the American people.”

But within minutes, a revised statement from the White House removed the word “outrageous”.

Following the ruling, airlines have been told to allow previously banned travellers to fly.

New York’s state Governor Andrew Cuomo has said that a baby girl from Iran, who was being taken to the US for life-saving heart surgery, will now be allowed in to the country. Her family were turned away last week… see more

source: skynews

21