- 1 cup plain white flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan sunflower spread/soy butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest 1 lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees celsius/345 fahrenheit.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl using a spatula or an electric whisk until it is fluffy. Stir in the vanilla extract and thoroughly mix.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and zest.
- Add the flour to the creamed butter and mix until a soft dough is formed.
- Shape into a log and wrap in cling film or foil and refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
- Tear off small amounts of dough and shape into balls spacing them well apart on a baking sheet, as they will spread in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20minutes depending on your oven. Ease them off using a palate knife – they will be a little soft still but that is fine.
- Allow them to cool on a rack for at least an hour before glazing – if you are glazing – otherwise they are as lovely warm as they are cooled.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.