WASHINGTON — A civilian contractor and military veteran with a valid base entry pass went on a shooting rampage at a U.S. Navy command complex building Monday, killing 12 people before being shot dead himself, authorities said.

Aaron Alexis, 34, a contractor from Fort Worth, was identified by officials as the shooter who was killed in a gunbattle with police responding to the morning attack at the Washington Navy Yard. A military official said Alexis had been a Navy reservist on active duty before being discharged for misconduct.

The FBI said late Monday that Alexis had a valid pass and security clearance to enter the Navy Yard as a civilian contractor. Valerie Parlave, assistant director in charge of the FBI’s Washington field office, said the shooter had “legitimate access to the Navy Yard.”

The carnage and desperate efforts to stop the shooting gripped the nation’s capital in a tense, day-long drama just blocks from the Capitol. Hours after reporting that Alexis was dead, city officials said they had not entirely ruled out the possibility another shooter was involved, but law enforcement officials said Monday night they were confident there was only one gunman. Washington Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier said there is currently no known motive for the shootings.  see more

source: usatoday