You need to look after your as well as your baby’s needs during pregnancy. The health of your baby will be directly the result of your diet in the ensuing weeks of pregnancy. Foods to avoid when pregnant would include those that hamper the foetal development and those that can cause serious infection to the mother. Doctors advise that it is as important to take the useful recommended food during pregnancy as it is to strictly avoid the damaging ones. [Read: Vegetables and Fruits to Avoid during Pregnancy]
Foods not to eat when pregnant are:
- Doctors advise against alcohol as the foremost of pregnancy diet restrictions. It causes many health problems to the baby, including low body weight, visual problems, learning disabilities, deformity of organs and others. [Read: Week-by-week Pregnancy Diet]
- Consumption of caffeinated drinks puts a pregnant woman under the risk of miscarriage and premature birth. This is why you may need to give your regular cup of coffee a miss for the sake of your baby’s health. [Read: Caffeine during Pregnancy]
- Fish that have high levels of mercury such as Swordfish, Shark, King Mackerel, Tilefish should be strictly avoided during pregnancy. Mercury consumption leads to delay in the brain formation of the baby.
- Keep away from raw eggs. They contain bacteria called Salmonella which causes food poisoning and other diseases. You need to avoid dishes like caeser salad, cookie batter and eggnog as they have raw eggs.
- Smoked seafood contains bacteria called Listeria which is very harmful. Be particularly wary if it is refrigerated.
- There is a class of organic compounds found in fishes from lakes and rivers that are damaging for health. So avoid fishes like bluefish, pike, salmon, striped bass, trout and walleye. Raw shellfish is another kind of food that needs to be avoided as it causes many seafood-borne diseases.
- Many varieties of soft cheese contain the harmful bacteria Listeria found in smoked seafood. It can infect the baby and also lead to blood poisoning.
- Vegetables cannot be one of the foods to avoid during pregnancy but you need to make sure that they are thoroughly washed before you consume them. Vegetables can be exposed to toxoplasmosis, a parasitic disease of plants.
- Never consume unpasteurised milk during pregnancy. It contains Listeria which leads to no. of problems, from infection, food poisoning to miscarriage.
You need to make sure that not only you stick to your recommended food during pregnancy but also pay equal attention to what you