If you have had a huge fight with your best friend and you wish to take out your anger on someone, but unfortunately not an ear is available, you take a pen and paper and start scribbling ferociously. The words come out effortlessly and you end up writing the most melodramatic lines of your life. But when it is your assignment submission date the very next day, no matter you use a pen & paper or a laptop – nothing works at all! People who love writing know how effective the medium is for expressing thoughts and ideas, but then again, writing is an art that is equally influenced by moods and state of mind. This article shall focus on ten basic tips that skip minds when people sit down to write any thing.
- Identify the purpose: Now this is a conventional yet very effective tip that many people miss out. This precisely involves clearing your mind and identifying to self the meaning and purpose of writing. Even if it is a short essay that you intend to write, you should know the desired outcome you want form the particular piece of writing, it makes things a lot easier!
- Brainstorm: This is another brilliant way to sort out all your ideas and structure them in form of proper sentences. Brainstorming allows you to clear the mess in head, and it can be done using multiple creative methods. For example if you are comfortable using a white board, you can make bubbles and write down all the points that shall be incorporated in your piece of writing. If you are an IPad person, many applications are available that allow you to make notes that help you once you sit down to write formally.
- Write in your happy mode: This strategy works for almost every person belonging to any age group. Research shows that people tend to be more creative when in a relaxed-happy state. Many students complain of not being able to concentrate when writing for their course-work. The reason being lack of interest, bad mood or an uncomfortable environment. Hence even if it requires sending motivating emails to a bunch of employees, one needs to be in a state of mind that compliments the content of writing. A quiet spot on the beach, scented candles, favorite music or a hot cup of tea works for majority of individuals who excel at writing.
- Deadlines make a difference: For many people, time limits really work. This does not mean giving yourself a deadline of 5-6 hours and sitting at one place writing aggressively not even moving an inch. But an organized way of working involves segmenting your tasks and assigning each task a time slot.
- Compare with benchmarks: If you are reluctant about your project and it’s time for submission, make sure you always seek some external advice. Even if you are confident about your work, there is always a chance for mistakes. You may search for similar samples on the Internet or ask a genius friend to email his/her work and compare it with your own. This definitely gives you enough chance for revisions and amendments.
- Use a spell check: An impressive piece of writing is surely the one free of all spelling and grammatical errors. Even if you are great at spellings and punctuations, there is no harm in running your text once through any grammar check software. Not only it autocorrects spelling errors but also suggests for better sentence structures.
- Maintain a journal/diary: This is a long-term method of improving writing skills by writing a specific word count each day that relates to anything that comes in mind. If you had the best brownie today, just get yourself a pen and write down all about it. If your pet did something crazy- scribble down every detail of it. Not only will you get a good command over words, but your confidence shall also improve as the hobby advances.
- Defeat creative block: Now this is one big challenge many writers face (good ones too). You have a whole bunch of ideas and still you feel distracted and unable to write down a single sentence-welcome to writers block. Do not let the frustration get on your nerves and try using different apps to help you out if you are falling short of time. If that doesn’t work too, freshen up using techniques that relax your mind instantly.
- Make it simple: Even if it involves academic writing you need to keep it simple. Cramming your content with words that are so difficult to understand will never make you a good writer. If you need to get your meaning across, you don’t have to make it much complicated.
- Time for a new habit: Reading makes it worthwhile. Even if takes five minutes of your daily routine, do it. Newspaper clippings, a favorite novel or a magazine would help enough. Just make sure you observe the difference in tones and make notes of new words you come across each time.
Author Bio: Austin Micheal is a famous author who blogs a lot on research proposal writing. His contribution with regards to the online research paper help provider is immense and has given lots of new insights to aspiring people, aiming to understand writing.